Wednesday 28 December 2016

My year in books (Part II)

Books That Disappointed Me

In this part, I mention the books that I read and regretted reading them. However, this is my own opinion, and you my disagree ... 

After you by Jojo Moyes

Well, this was the first book I read this year. I started it by the New Year eve, and ended it the next day. I wanted my first day of the year to be a little romantic, as I was single at the time, I thought a romantic novel can help. I was so happy to find out that “Me before you” has a sequel, but I was very disappointed after reading it (as much as I was after watching the movie). It ruined everything the first story was about. In short, I was disappointed and I don’t recommend the book for “Me before you” fans to avoid the disappointment.

The girl on the train by Paula Hawkins

To recover from that disappointment, I decided to pick up something new for me to read. I checked the best books for 2015 in different categories, and I realized I never read any thrillers in my life. So, I picked 2015 best thriller so far … and I was disappointed again. The story was so boring and long …. I just didn’t (still don’t) understand how it was chosen as the best thriller for 2015 !! I have no idea if I will ever read thrillers again … By the way, this book was adapted for a movie this year , and no, I won’t watch it.

Who moved my cheese? by Spencer Johnson

After failing with the fiction books I started my year with, I went back to my favorite category: nonfiction, and I chose this book, recommended by a friend. It was another disappointment. A boring story to give a good lesson. This is one of the most famous books in the world about … life I guess. The lesson can be applied to different fields. The book is not long (only 96 pages), but I believe the story could be told in much less pages. I just didn’t like it. It was not for me. So, I can’t recommend it. I read much better books about business and management (mentioned in other parts).


في قلبي أنثى عبرية by خولة حمدي

I won this book in a small writing competition. As it was my first time to win in such occasion, I was so excited to read this book. Moreover, I was intrigued to know why this novel became so famous in the Arab world. I guess the answer is simple: a sad love story that had a happy ending. So typical. I remember those 3 spring days when I read it. I was all alone at home. The spring just started, and the days were so nice and calm. Every evening, I would crawl into my bed, reading page after page. I analyzed the novel. I really didn’t want to hate it. but I did. It was a waste of time. Not my type of books. And I don’t recommend it.

جرعة نيكوتين by محمد طارق 

I don’t remember how I heard about this one, but I remember not liking it much. It was bad. I liked some of the essays. The beginning of the book attracted me, but at some point, it became a source of depression. A young writer should not spread such sadness. I can't agree with him when he blames everything and everyone else for the misery of the young generation. I live in an Arab country, and I believe the blame is on this generation as well .... Anyway, I won't recommend the book for anyone who is feeling down already.

Radio Shangri-la: What I Learned in Bhutan, the Happiest Kingdom onEarth by Lisa Napoli

I read a short review about this book somewhere on social media, and I immediately bought it on Amazon. I expected a nice inspirational memoir, but I fell so bored reading the book that I stopped in the middle. I couldn’t bear one more page. I can’t say I don’t recommend this memoir, I simply didn’t enjoy it.

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer

Another nonfiction book. I like Amy, and the book made a huge buzz, so I knew I have to read it. The beginning was funny and exciting, but slowly, the chapters became long and boring. ... not much to say about it. Another misleading publicity … Lucky me that I read the book on the bus, so I don't consider it a real waste of time.

Sex Object by Jessica Valenti

Another memoir that caught my attention after reading a review or hearing it on the New York Times Book Review podcast (Hard to remember). The beginning of this book was nice. I felt she, somehow, was telling my story ... And this was the trick in this book: a common story. Too common that it became a boring chapter after chapter. Once I got to the second part of this book, I realized it is not as inspirational as I thought. And in most cases, she made herself "a sex object". She didn't care much about anything but drinking and having sex. How can she blame men for that? 

Yes, there are bad rape and sexual harassment stories out there, but I don't think this book is about any serious case.
 On the other hand, the title of the book was misleading. Especially in the last part, when she focused only on her marriage and daughter.... Her life seems to be perfect compared to what other women are going through. At some point, I called her a "selfish spoiled woman". I do fight to get some women rights ... But not about bullshit women (and men) put themselves in. After all, I can't judge her. I just didn't like the book and I don't think it is worth reading.


By the way ... She made me hate NY city. It seemed full of perverts and pedophiles. For the first time I felt I live in a very safe place (in a third world country).
 






                                                                                      Spread the joy of reading 

                                                                                                        Merry



No comments:

Post a Comment